2011年10月10日月曜日

Insularity

Last week, we discussed the problem that fewer Japanese students go abroad for their education. As Glen Fukushima mentioned, the number of Japanese students at Harvard had declined. It is true, and he mentioned some reasons of the problem in the article.

I agree with almost all the reasons he mentioned, but I disagree with that young Japanese are not interested in going abroad. I think many Japanese students are interested in going abroad, but the cost is high, so they abandon to go abroad as undergraduates. And I think the length of stay is getting shorter. There are some schools which have the systems of studying abroad, and most of the students stay less than a year.

Insularity makes Japanese feel foreign countries are far away. It is difficult to find solutions of the problem, but I think we need to be more interested in overseas.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Hi Yurie - Yes I somewhat disagree with him as well. He also forgot to consider that perhaps it's because of the decreasing population of Japan that fewer young people want to go abroad...There are simply fewer young Japanese in existence!

    返信削除